Sunday, October 19, 2008

Great Barrington


Wow - What a day. Jeremy, Rob, Todd, and I left Boston around 9 this morning to make the 2.5 hour drive out to Great Barrington. We warmed up at the warmup area this time instead of at the Speed Boulder. The warmup boulder has a bunch of V0-V4's, and is definitely worth checking out, even if it is at the end of the day. Anyway, we warmed up there and headed back to the Speed Boulder. I tried my best to do Big Big Love, but after five or six goes I gave up - that problem is my nemesis, and I'm quite sure I will never do it. During this time Rob did the stand start to Something From Nothing which I was told is V10. Definitely a strong send for him. Todd also made a lot of progress on the stand, but couldn't get his right hand over the lip for the topout. Todd has some really good beta on the move to the slot involving a finger lock with his left hand - I wish it worked for me. I tried the move a few times, and felt a little closer today than I had on previous trips. 

After we gave up on the Speed Boulder, we headed to The Filter (V9) and The Echo (V9). Both are thin face climbs, and pretty technical. Jeremy, Rob, and I worked on The Echo and figured out the beta, while Todd got on The Filter. Rob and Jeremy both got to the last move of The Echo, but couldn't stick the jug.  Todd made an impressive send of The Filter, killing every move with the smoothness.

I was pretty done for the day at that point, but we headed down to JLo (v8/9), which is probably the most aesthetic line at GB other than those on the Speed Boulder. This climb seemed impossible, but I would like to work it in the future. 

Here are some photos, courtesy of Rob Southern:
Todd on The Filter
Me on The Echo
Rob on The Echo
Jeremy on The Echo
Tod on Something from Nothing
Me on Something From Nothing (broke out the old V10s!)
Me on Crystal Problem (V4) (not sure on the exact name of this problem)

No comments: