Saturday, October 4, 2008

Great Barrington

Today was, overall, a success. Rob, Jeremy, Todd, and I left Boston around 8:30 and were climbing in Great Barrington by 11:30. I hadn't been to GB since last spring, and I wasn't really sure where the boulders were - fortunately I remembered, and we made our way up to the Speed Boulder, which contains Something From Nothing (V12), Roses And Blue Jays (V13) and Big Big Love (V8). We warmed up on a nice V2 around the side of the Speed Boulder, and then proceeded to work on Big Big Love. Unfortunately, I wasn't having much success with the gymnastic movement, but Rob, Jeremy, and Todd all did it within 3 or so tries. Next, Rob started working on Something from Nothing, which is an awesome line. He quickly sussed out the lower moves, and started working on the crux throw to a slot. After hitting above the slot maybe five times, Rob started sinking his right hand every time. With a little more work he did the top moves, and the top out. All this time I was working on Big Big Love by my lonesome self - still trying to get my right foot to heal toe cam properly. I put in around 30 attempts on Big Big Love, with zero success. In the meantime, Rob managed to get Something to Nothing into 2 sections. 
 After giving up hope, we all headed down to the Green Goddess boulder, which has a three or four lines on it, between V4 and V8. I was pretty burnt out by this point, so I watched the other guys crush problems. After a good session on that boulder, we headed up to Filter (V9). Filter is a sustained crimpy face, probably ten moves in all. I tried my best to bear down on the crimps, but my tips were dead from 30+ tries on Big Big Love. Rob did all of the moves, but had no luck on the link. 
After we gave up on Filter, Jeremy headed to check out another area, while Todd slept on his pad, and Rob and I went back to the Speed Boulder to try our "projects". I felt the best I had all day on Big Big Love, and finally sussed out the beta to get the heal toe cam to work, but I was too tired to finish the top section of the problem. Rob had a few more good burns on Something From Nothing, but didn't send. We walked out of the woods by headlamp, content with the long day of bouldering we'd had. I think we will both send on our next outing to the Speed Boulder. 
On the way home we stopped at some micro-brewery in GB, and I had an awesome burger. I felt like I had earned my meal, with forty or so tries on Big Big Love. Anyway, it was an awesome day. 

No comments: