Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Da Gunks

Wow - Thanksgiving went by WAY to fast. I had a good time while I was home, though. Hit the gym on tuesday and worked a sport route for a little, nearly decked a couple times, but had a fun time overall. I haven't trained endurance in months, but surprisingly I felt good on routes. Anyway, Saturday Greg and I headed up the new paltz to meet Mike Arthur and Mikey Rhosler. Well they were their usual selves and didn't wake up till 11am, then missed the exit to new Paltz - we didn't see them till 2pm. 
Anyway, we were climbing by 1030am, and Greg got on a bunch of the moderates and had a good time. While we were warming up by the Gill egg with Jeff and Andrew, I met Chris Sierzant - you might've seen him on the cover of urban climber? Hes a cool guy in person, and definitely strong. I guess he was in the area for thanksgiving and wanted to see what the northeast was all about. I told him he had to see some real new england bouldering, and to check out GB - that pebbly conglomerate at the gunks doesn't compare. Anyway, we worked our way down the carriage road and I finally ended up at The Art of Nothing (8pts) with Jeff. We worked this a little, and I missed the good part of the lip a few times before giving up. This was the only problem I realllly worked all day. Even Lovely was a sheet of ice - bummer. I might work that in the future, though. Oh, and Bismark is a pile - i'm never getting on that.
Every time I go to the gunks (read: carriage road) I'm reminded that the only line I really love there is Crouching Dragon (11pts).  Mike showed up and almost sent first burn, falling off the last move. Second burn he matched the lip and fell. a few more tries falling off the last move and he gave up. I wish I could not warm up and nearly send an 11.

No comments: